During your three-year School Counseling program at Fort Hays State University, you will delve deep into the theory behind many issues that arise with youth as they grow and develop, and gain experience in real-world situations through your practicum and internship. Upon completion, you will be prepared to apply for a school counseling license in the state of Kansas.
The goals of the Counseling Program at Fort Hays State University are as follows:
- To prepare counselors to identify the philosophy, trends, ethics, and professional standards of the counseling profession, and understand the contextual dimensions of the clinical mental health and school counseling professions.
- To prepare counselors to differentiate social and cultural characteristics across diverse groups, identify theories and models of multicultural counseling, and will understand the impact of diverse clients and the counseling process.
- To prepare counselors to relate theories of human development to the counseling practice, and design developmentally appropriate counseling interventions.
- To train counselors to identify the major theories of career development, and apply the concepts of career counseling.
- To train counselors to make and use observations of the helping relationship, and apply the concepts of counseling skills to work effectively with individuals possessing diverse characteristics and strengths. To prepare counselors to identify and apply the major counseling theories.
- To prepare counselors to identify the major techniques and theories of the group counseling process, and apply the concepts of group counseling.
- To train counselors to identify the major assessment instruments innate to clinical mental health counseling, legal and ethical use of assessments, and show their ability to apply the use of assessment techniques.
- To prepare counselors to apply best practices of research and program evaluation. To train counselors to critique and contribute to research in counseling.
- To prepare counselors to assume the roles of their specialization area by training counselors to understand, identify, and practice counseling in the areas of school or clinical settings.
- To develop the ability, through practicum and internship experiences, to integrate knowledge and skills for competent counseling practice.
- To develop, through self-reflection and critical thinking, a further self-awareness and understand roles in the counseling process. Develop a personal counseling orientation and ability to assume roles as advocates in the field while maintaining professionalism throughout the program and as future professional counselors.
The M.S. in School Counseling is accredited by the Kansas State Department of Education and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Research and Eval in Counseling
- Counseling Skills Development
- Lifespan Human Development
- Foundations of Counseling
- Lifestyle and Career Development
- Social and Cultural Foundations of Counseling
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology School Counselling Educational Psychology View 554 other Masters in School Counselling in United States
Proof of a Grade Point Average of 3.00 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate credit.
- Two letters of reference from supervisors and/or professional peers.
- A Professional Goals Statement related to the completion of a master's degree as a counselor.
- Official transcripts of all college work completed and documentation of degree conferral.
- A Group Interview through VideoConference - A member of the Counseling Faculty will contact you to set up an interview time after you submit your application materials.
- A completed background check or an independent background check you may have completed through your employer.
International11376 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 632 USD per credit during 36 months.
National11376 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 632 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State4500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 250 USD per credit during 36 months.
Graduate On-Campus (contiguous state): $353.16/credit
Living costs for Hays
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.