The focus is on the use of biocatalytic systems in the manufacture of products or in the reduction or use of residual and waste materials. The Sustainable Bioprocess Technology program is offered at Furtwangen University.
The assessment of such processes is highly complex, therefore we value a holistic approach such as, for example, the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), a systematic analysis of the effects on the environment during the complete life cycle of a product. We will also be considering economic aspects. In the "Sustainable Business Studies" module you will learn to take both ecological acceptability and economic viability into consideration.
More than boring theory
Studying with us means studying for "real life". Scientific methods, the implementation of challenging development projects and teamwork are all an integral part of our teaching, which is often carried out in the form of seminars. During the project semester, the theory you learn will be put into practice in your own research projects. The choice of whether to focus more on technology or on biology is up to you. If you wish, you can also carry out your projects in close cooperation with industry.
At the University itself, lab and pilot-testing experiments can be carried out. In our technical centre you can set up the entire process from manufacture (upstream) to product purification (downstream). Modern process analytics, e.g. in the form of HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography), GC (gas chromatography) and online measurements are also available.
The following are some examples of the projects our students work on:
- Can fungae break down plastic waste?
- How can the development of new processes in a bioreactor be shortened and optimized using process simulation?
- Can micro-organisms from sewage waste help to extract useful materials (for example organic acids) from waste materials?
- Is it possible to use residual products from foodstuffs manufacture, such as sunflower press cake (residual material from sunflower oil extraction), as the basis for further foodstuffs?
- Can one remove harmful substances from water using microplastics?
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sustainable process technology
- Project planning & process evaluation
- Test and process planning/optimization
- Engineering mandatory elective module, for example:
- Methods and techniques of product extraction
- Energy & biomass
- Advanced bioprocess engineering
- Natural sciences mandatory elective module, for example:
- Biomass use and biotransformation
- Special water treatment techniques
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiotechnology View 30 other Masters in Biotechnology in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor's degree in natural science or engineering (including business administration and engineering) from a university or university of applied sciences is a prerequisite. The choice of modules in the first semester is based on the focus of the bachelor degree taken.
- HFU offers graduates of university degree programmes and/or international graduates with 180 ECTS points, additional transition courses which compensate in particular, for the practical experience or language proficiency which students often lack.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 18 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.