The MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL offered at the University of Leicester is aimed at graduate teachers and other English Language Teaching professionals with at least two years' English language teaching experience who wish to further their academic and professional development.
This degree will provide you with:
- A critical understanding of key issues and debates in many areas of applied linguistics and of how these relate to English Language Teaching.
- A body of knowledge that will enhance your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels in different cultural and institutional contexts.
- The ability to reflect, analyse and critically evaluate language teaching and learning concepts and theories, and to understand and examine the assumptions underlying different classroom practices.
- The skills to undertake effective practitioner research in your specific area of interest.
Careers and employability
The field of English Language Teaching is increasingly competitive and many organisations see a Master's level qualification as an essential requirement. Many of our graduates go on to gain promotion in their existing jobs or to move on to more senior or challenging posts. This course is a powerful vehicle for both personal and professional development.
- Second Language Teaching
- Second Language Learning
- Grammar Awareness
- Phonology and Pronunciation
- Language in Society
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching English View 117 other Masters in Teaching English in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- At least a relevant second class honours degree - or its equivalent from a non-UK university (GPA 3.0 or above)
- You should normally be a teacher or working in the English Language Teaching field with two years’ teaching experience.
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.