Program Requirements of the Biochemistry degree offered by University of Colorado Colorado Springs
The student should choose a research advisor in consultation with the Program Director during the application process. To be admitted to the program, a research advisor must agree to the student working in his or her laboratory. In consultation with the Program Director the student should also prepare a list of courses to be taken to fulfill program requirements when applying to the program.
A thesis committee will be chosen at the start of a student's program. The committee will assist the research advisor in monitoring student progress throughout the length of the student’s program. The committee will also administer the thesis examination required for the MSc degree.
Coursework and Thesis
- 15 hours of coursework, which must be taken at the 5000-level or above (Normally, this includes five 5000-level chemistry courses or four 5000-level chemistry courses and one 5000-level course from another department.)
- At least 9 hours of Chemistry Research – Graduate (CHEM 5904)
- 6 hours of thesis (CHEM 7000)
- Thesis defense exam (open to the public)
Evaluation of Progress
- Maintain a 3.00 grade point average in graduate coursework. A student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation. Two consecutive semesters of being on academic probation will result in dismissal from the program.
- Present a 20-minute progress report each semester to the research advisor and, when possible, to the thesis committee members. The research advisor will complete a report to be sent to the Program Director and be added to the student’s file.
- Present a seminar to the capstone class in chemistry or biochemistry during the spring semester of the first year on a research topic different than the student’s research. The student’s thesis committee members are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Confer with the Program Director once per semester to update the student’s program plan, discuss student progress, and identify any problem areas. The report will be added to the student’s file.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Spectroscopy
- Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Biochemistry Laboratory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Natural Sciences View 438 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
Regular admission to the MSc program requires that the student meets the following requirements:
- Has attained a Bachelor's degree in chemistry or biochemistry from an accredited college or university
- Has an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.00
- Has a combined GRE percentile score of 50th percentile or higher
Applicants must complete the online Graduate School application and include four letters of recommendation, one official transcript from each college or university attended, and pay a non-refundable $60 application fee.
International students must also meet Department requirements of a score of 100 on the TOEFL exam or 7 on the IELTS exam.
International3844 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3844 USD per module and a duration of 24 months.
National3844 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3844 USD per module and a duration of 24 months.
In-State2026 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2026 USD per module and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.