You’ll explore the relationship between language, identity, culture and place, in the context of an increasingly interconnected and complex world.
- Working with nationally and internationally recognised experts, you can focus on a single discipline (eg French Studies) or undertake an interdisciplinary programme across two or more languages and cultures.
- You can engage with topics such as translation theory, intersectionality, sociolinguistics and environmental studies, as well as literature, linguistics, cultural studies, history, visual and film studies, politics, society, migration, and postcolonial or gender studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Research Methods in Modern Languages and Cultures
- Topics in Modern Languages and Cultures
- Approaches to Literary and Cultural Studies (Critical Theory)
- Concepts and Approaches in Intercultural Communication
- Language in Context
- Translation Skills
- Film Adaptation of Literary Classics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 636 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Sheffield and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You’ll need a 2:1 honours degree in a language-related discipline such as linguistics, literature or a language.
- The programme is for students with a background in French and Francophone studies, Germanic studies (German and Dutch), Hispanic and Lusophone studies (Spanish, Catalan and Portuguese; Latin America), Luxembourgish studies, or Russian and Slavonic studies (Russian and Czech; the former USSR).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sheffield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.