A strong undergraduate background in the sciences other than geology is especially helpful, and a significant number of our graduate students have their training in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, or astronomy. Graduate students are formally accepted into the Earth and Planetary Science program at University of California, Berkeley, and they normally work directly toward a PhD.
Learning outcomesThe department offers an MA program; however, admission to the program is available only to graduates of our bachelor's degree program in Earth and Planetary Science. We do not accept applications from other majors or universities.
- The Water Planet
- Introduction to Climate Change
- Earth's Greatest Volcanic Eruptions
- The Planets
- Earthquakes in Your Backyard
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 696 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of California, Berkeley and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- a bachelor’s degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution;
- a satisfactory scholastic average, usually a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale; and
- enough undergraduate training to do graduate work in your chosen field.
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Application Fee: The application fee is not refundable. If you are a U.S. citizen or current permanent resident, the application fee is $105; for all others, the fee is $125.
International26802 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13401 USD per semester during 12 months.
National26802 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13401 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5850 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Berkeley
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.