You’ll study the sociocultural, historical and structural complexities of the English language with the option to study other modern languages as well.
- The English Language and Linguistics course at University of Sheffield is designed with flexibility and choice in mind. You are able to follow different routes through the course that allow you to focus on specific areas of English language and linguistics. You will be able to study literary linguistics and examine a range of approaches including cognitive poetics, corpus stylistics and narratology.
- We offer specialisms in social and historical approaches to language and linguistics in which you can investigate complex real-world language problems in different social and historical contexts. You will also have the option to examine structural and theoretical linguistics, exploring the foundational mental structures and processes underlying language.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Linguistics in Context
- Linguistics in Practice
- Research Practice
- Literary Language: Narrative and Cognition
- Literary Language: History and Culture
- Work Placement with Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum 2:1 undergraduate degree in linguistics, English language and/or literature, or a modern language.
- Overall IELTS score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component, or equivalent.
- We also accept a range of other UK qualifications and other EU/international qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sheffield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.