This Composition course at University of Sheffield focuses upon composition of contemporary music and offers two distinct pathways. You can choose to specialise in instrumental composition, in which you will explore a broad range of compositional approaches and techniques with a strong emphasis on inquiry-led practice.
This will include collaboration with professional performers and peers, resulting in numerous live premieres of work, and/or the scope for interacting across disciplines.
- You may also have the opportunity to make mixed-media work, and collaborate with artists working with other media (visual, design, text).
- Alternatively, you may specialise in electronic/electroacoustic composition, in which you can explore creative applications of analogue/digital technologies, studio-based composition techniques, real-time audio processing techniques, aesthetics of sonic art, historical developments in electronic music, temporal/spatial-audio and post-digital aesthetics, amongst others.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Film Sound and Composition
- Influences and Inspirations: independent study of compositional practice
- Collaborative practice, public engagement and impact
- Composition Portfolio
- Electroacoustic Techniques
- Instrumental Techniques
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Composition View 249 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You’ll need a 2:1 in music or a combined degree with a substantial music component.
- Degrees in other related subjects may be acceptable depending on your background.
- Provide a portfolio with your application: When you apply you'll need to provide a portfolio of your compositional work. The portfolio must include one or two examples of your best work and can be in many different formats depending on your style of composition - instrumental composers are invited to submit copies of scores, but any recordings of performances (or even midi files) are most welcome. Electroacoustic composers are invited to upload soundfiles of their works.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sheffield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.