Theories from the field of development studies are applied in regional contexts, allowing crossroads perspectives to be pursued. Challenges regarding natural resource management and the politics and practice of international development are debated, and the interrelationship between planning and practice is expounded.
- Methods pertaining to geographical information systems (GIS), empirical social research and qualitative and quantitative data analysis are also applied to different fields of enquiry and empirical contexts.
- The disciplinary nature of the Geographical Development Studies programme from Freie Universität Berlin is diversified through interdisciplinary module options that enable students to specialise and tailor the programme to their specific learning and research interests.
- A central aspect of the course is a field project in which the students plan, design and carry out an empirical research project from start to finish within the regional context of South or Central Asia, both independently and as part of a team.
- This involves developing a research question, selecting appropriate research methods, tools and techniques and documenting and presenting the results.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Freie Universität Berlin and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree in geosciences with credit points in geography corresponding to the bachelor’s program in geography at Freie Universität Berlin, or an equivalent degree.
- Proof of English language skills (level B2 CEFR).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.