Theories from the field of development studies are applied in regional contexts, allowing crossroads perspectives to be pursued. Challenges regarding natural resource management and the politics and practice of international development are debated, and the interrelationship between planning and practice is expounded.
- Methods pertaining to geographical information systems (GIS), empirical social research and qualitative and quantitative data analysis are also applied to different fields of enquiry and empirical contexts.
- The disciplinary nature of the Geographical Development Studies programme from Freie Universität Berlin is diversified through interdisciplinary module options that enable students to specialise and tailor the programme to their specific learning and research interests.
- A central aspect of the course is a field project in which the students plan, design and carry out an empirical research project from start to finish within the regional context of South or Central Asia, both independently and as part of a team.
- This involves developing a research question, selecting appropriate research methods, tools and techniques and documenting and presenting the results.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in geosciences with credit points in geography corresponding to the bachelor’s program in geography at Freie Universität Berlin, or an equivalent degree.
- Proof of English language skills (level B2 CEFR).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.