With this Popular Music and Culture programme from Leeds Beckett University you will join peers with backgrounds in cultural studies, sociology, music and the creative arts to explore today's local live music scene and its connection to the wider industry. From researching gigs and events to composing scores for film and television, you will discover how a variety of communities fuse together to create this vibrant and expanding scene.
Whether developing your songwriting and music editing techniques in our studios or organising events and liaising with artists at Leeds Festival, you will gain the hands-on experience employers are looking for while gathering evidence to carry through into your major research project.
With more festivals and independent production companies than ever before, understanding the links between popular music, culture and the rapidly changing music industry is increasingly important, whether you are a researcher or practitioner. You could use the course to further your research interests by studying for a PhD or take up employment opportunities in sound engineering, performance, teaching, songwriting, production, music for film and television, music journalism, marketing and PR or events organisation.
- Sound Technician
- Events Organiser
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Popular Music Culture, History & Heritage
- Popular Music Analysis
- Music Industries in Context
- Music Industries in Practice
- Negotiated Skills Development
- Research Practice
- Final Individual Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Most courses don't have fixed application deadlines. But, our courses are popular - they can fill up quickly. It's best to apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Music View 623 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Leeds Beckett University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants should either have at least a second class honours degree in the cognate subjects of Popular Music Studies, at least a second class honours degree in a non-cognate subject supported by evidence of an aptitude for the subject applied for, or have equivalent experience or training, normally from within the work environment. All applications should be supported by a reference, either academic or professional.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.