It is impossible to fully understand the modern world without knowledge of politics, philosophy and economics. They have long been recognised as overlapping and informing one other and it was only relatively recently in intellectual history that the three subjects were separated from one another. The Politics, Philosophy And Economics programme at Birkbeck, University of London brings together these subjects to help you understand and engage with the world. You will develop essential skills of reasoning, inquiry and analysis that are applicable to a wide range of careers, including banking and finance, law, academia and teaching, journalism and politics.
The study of philosophy will introduce you to critical reasoning and some of the most profound questions it is possible to ask about humanity. The study of politics will acquaint you with modern governing structures in the UK, EU and further afield and with the concepts and ideas that underpin the theory and practice of politics. The study of economics will help you grasp how business, finance and politics intersect and determine how we live and work.
You can choose from a wide range of option modules and your learning will be informed by the cutting-edge research and expertise of academics across three distinguished departments at Birkbeck: Economics, Mathematics and Statistics; Philosophy; and Politics.
You will also receive one-to-one dissertation supervision on a topic of your choosing.
- This is the only PPE programme available for part-time evening study in the UK.
- Our Departments of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics, Philosophy and Politics each have an international research reputation, as recognised by the government’s Research Excellence Framework and other indicators.
- The programme is a potential stepping stone to MPhil/PhD research in any of the three departments or in interdisciplinary combinations.
- Birkbeck Library has large politics, philosophy and economics collections, including the major specialist journals, and provides you with access to an extensive range of online materials.
- You can also take advantage of the rich research collections nearby, including Senate House Library, which is right next door to Birkbeck, the British Library, which is five minutes’ walk away, and the British Library of Political and Economic Science at the London School of Economics, which is walkable from Birkbeck.
Careers and Employability
The programme aims to provide broad-based training appropriate for careers in the civil service, journalism, politics and international development, as well as research for organisations such as think-tanks.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Emerging Powers in World Politics
- Geopolitics, Population and Environment
- International Political Economy
- Modern British Politics
- Political Theory and Contemporary Politics
- Public Management: Theories and Innovations
- Public Policy: Interests, Ideas, Institutions
- The European Union: Integration, Politics and Policy
- The Political Sociology of the Modern State
- The Politics of Population Change: Immigration, Aging and Conflict
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesEconomics Philosophy & Ethics Political Science View 233 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in any subject; prior exposure to at least one of the three component subjects would be a distinct advantage, but it might be possible for able students to acquire the relevant knowledge as part of this programme.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9960 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.