The European and International Governance programme at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) will allow Belgian and international students to acquire the skills and know-how needed for kickstarting a career in diplomacy, national and international institutions or related professional fields (such as lobbying, journalism, policy and academic research).
It is hard to imagine more interesting times to study European and international politics. The European Union (EU) is facing internal and external challenges that were almost inconceivable until a few years ago.
They include the rise of nationalism, fissures in the European project, economic inequalities and an ever-growing urgency to mitigate climate change and find a coordinated response to international mobility and forced displacement. In a similar vein, the context in which nations interact in world politics has altered substantially. Factors such as the erosion of the liberal world order, the rise of China and more assertive foreign policies of Russia and Turkey increasingly dominate international politics.
The Key Assets
- The program is taught in one of the world's centers of governance, at a stone's throw from the European institutions, NATO, and hundreds of embassies, corporate offices, and NGO's. This is the ideal point of departure for any student with an interest in international politics, offering the opportunity to participate in conferences off-campus, to find internships, to network and to engage in one of the many organizations.
- Many of our professors do not only have a strong track record in academic research and shaping the public debate; they are also involved in policy-making. They have thus an ideal background to mix academic knowledge with practical insights and can offer their network at the disposal of students.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- European Economics
- Institutions and Governance of the European Union
- International Political Economy
- World Politics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInternational Relations European Studies Political Science View 22 other Masters in Political Science in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Direct admission: Candidates with a Flemish degree of ‘Bachelor in de Politieke Wetenschappen’ or 'Bachelor in Social Sciences'
- Admission after Academic Screening: An Admission Board will evaluate all other applications on an individual basis. Candidates must have obtained at least a bachelor or undergraduate degree in a relevant field with preferably some courses on Political Science, International Relations and/or the European Union.
English Language Requirements:
- TOEFL iBT with minimum level: 79;
- IELTS with minimum level: academic module 6.5;
- ITACE with minimum level: B2;
- Cambridge English Qualification Scale with the following minimal level: 170
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3850 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3850 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.