Our faculty include internationally known researchers who contribute to theories and analysis of modernist and contemporary art music, theories of rhythm and meter, performance analysis, and the analysis of both Western art music and world music.
We bring a broad perspective to the basic theory courses required of our undergraduates, and provide flexible and expert supervision for graduate student research. Students in our Music Emphasis Theory program at University of British Columbia are mentored professionally through intensive seminars, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and conference participation. We welcome research of an interdisciplinary nature, involving musicology, ethnomusicology, mathematics, linguistics, and other musically pertinent areas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- 500-level music theory seminars
- Graduate Music elective
- German reading proficiency requirement
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 34 other Masters in Music History in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- This program contains a practicum component for which a criminal record check is required.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8952 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5095 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.