Our faculty include internationally known researchers who contribute to theories and analysis of modernist and contemporary art music, theories of rhythm and meter, performance analysis, and the analysis of both Western art music and world music.
We bring a broad perspective to the basic theory courses required of our undergraduates, and provide flexible and expert supervision for graduate student research. Students in our Music Emphasis Theory program at University of British Columbia are mentored professionally through intensive seminars, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and conference participation. We welcome research of an interdisciplinary nature, involving musicology, ethnomusicology, mathematics, linguistics, and other musically pertinent areas.
More informationVisit official programme website
- 500-level music theory seminars 15 credits (Note 1)
- 549 Thesis - 6 credits (Note 2)
- Graduate Music elective - 3 credits (Note 3)
- Electives - 6 credits (Note 4)
- German reading proficiency requirement (Note 5)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 48 other Masters in Music in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Normally, applicants for a master's degree program must hold the academic equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC including one of the following:
- A minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year courses.
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study.
- Most three-year, Bologna-compliant degrees from research-intensive universities are acceptable as a basis for admission to master's programs at UBC.
International8776 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8776 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4995 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4995 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.