At the Sociology of Education MA program from New York University, we prepare graduates to pursue careers in research evaluation, education policy, government agencies, and youth and community service organizations. Many of our students choose to continue on to doctoral-level work in the sociology of education or a related field.
- Identify the larger social and cultural contexts that shape educational institutions
- Analyze educational problems and issues using the knowledge, concepts, and research methodology of sociology
- Demonstrate an expertise in an area of specialization in the sociology of education through the production of a high-quality MA thesis
- Acquire habits of critical thinking and systematic investigation to critique the role of education in society
- Develop effective written and oral communication skills by applying the conventions of the discipline of sociology
Graduates of the master's program are well equipped to pursue careers in research and evaluation, education policy, government agencies, and youth and community service organizations. Many are also well equipped to pursue and succeed in doctoral-level work in the sociology of education or a related field.
- Sociology of Education
- The Learning of Culture
- Principles of Empirical Research
- Education and Social Policy
- Statistics for Behavior and Social Sciences
- Qualitative Methods in International Education
- Approaches to Qualitative Inquiry
- Survey Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sociology Public Policy View 650 other Masters in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement Of Purpose
- Letters Of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
- Writing Sample - Please submit an academic writing sample (a course paper or its equivalent) of not more than 20 pages that you feel demonstrates your writing and analytic abilities. The sample does not need to display a knowledge of sociology or sociology of education.
International72720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
National72720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.