With a large faculty of renowned scholars and dedicated teachers, the department offers a wide range of courses in traditional and emerging fields of literary and cultural study.
- Students should not apply to the free-standing program if they wish to advance beyond the MA in the English and Comparative Literature department at Columbia University: the free-standing program is terminal.
- In the MA year students take eight courses, which must include the Master’s Seminar and the Colloquium in Theory and Method. MA students must also complete the Master’s Essay and demonstrate proficiency in one foreign language. No advanced standing will be granted toward the MA for graduate work completed at other institutions.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Literary History of Atrocity
- Interpreting Early Film
- The Frequency of Black Life
- Genealogies of Feminism: Vision and Difference
- Literary Theory from Plato to Kant
- History of the English Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- a statement of academic purpose
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- GRE scores and, if applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- a sample of scholarly writing, if required by the department or program
- payment of the application fee
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.