The NYU Game Center is dedicated to the exploration of games as a cultural form and game design as creative practice. Our approach to the study of games is based on a simple idea: games matter. Just like other cultural forms – music, film, literature, painting, dance, theater – games are valuable for their own sake. Games are worth studying, not merely as artifacts of advanced digital technology, or for their potential to educate, or as products within a thriving global industry, but in and of themselves, as experiences that entertain us, move us, explore complex topics, communicate profound ideas, and illuminate elusive truths about ourselves, the world around us, and each other.
Students at the Game Design MFA program from New York University study the design and development of games in a context of advanced critical literacy, with the goal of becoming game designers and developers, artists and curators, critics and scholars.
- Game Design
- Game Production
- Game Studies
- Game History
- Studio Courses
- Play Labs
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Graphic Design Video Games & Multimedia View 59 other Masters in Video Games & Multimedia in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Standardized Test Information – GMAT or GRE (and TOEFL if required);
- Transcripts & Degrees;
- Professional Information;
- EQ endorsements must be submitted online;
- International Student Supplement.
- Your creative portfolio uploaded to Slate must contain the following:
- A 1-page resume, listing projects (game-related or otherwise) you have worked on, as well as all relevant work experience.
- A personal statement of no more than 2 pages, in PDF format.
- A critical analysis of any game, of no more than 1 page, in PDF format. It should be a thoughtful and insightful analysis of one or more aspects of the game.
- One or two projects, which could include digital games, non-digital games, game-related websites, visual designs, writings about games, or other creative projects.- A 1-page design statement.
International57840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57840 USD per year during 24 months.
National57840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57840 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.