The Foreign Language Education, Grades 7-12, Initial Certification from New York University combines core foundation classes and content electives with fieldwork and student teaching. You’ll study teaching methods, linguistics, your target foreign language, second language acquisition research, intercultural and multicultural perspectives in education, students with special needs, and adolescent learners in urban context. You’ll graduate with:
- Foreign language teaching approaches that can be adjusted to suit the needs of learners from diverse linguistic, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- An understanding of urban educational environments and the social, cultural, and economic factors that influence learning
- Knowledge of foreign language pedagogy, foreign language acquisition research, linguistics, and intercultural or multicultural studies
Careers and Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree, you’ll be eligible for New York State initial teaching certification for grades 7–12, and will have the skills you need to pursue positions as:
- A foreign language teacher in elementary and secondary schools, community colleges, universities, community organizations, and immigrant resettlement agencies
- A curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- A researcher, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and nonprofit educational agencies and multinational corporations
More informationVisit official programme website
- Linguistic analysis
- Advanced Spanish for Teachers of Spanish
- Spanish Syntax for Teachers of Spanish
- Spanish Pragmatics for Teachers of Spanish
- Applied Linguistics in Spanish
- Advanced French for Teachers of French
- Applied Linguistics in French
- Advanced Chinese for Teachers of Chinese
- Applied Linguistics in Chinese
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 909 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters Of Recommendation
- GRE or MAT
- Proficiency in English
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.