Our mission is to teach you how to examine the ways in which individuals, communities, and societies produce, distribute, and consume food. Given the University’s dynamic New York City location, your investigations of these topics will focus on cities as the center of flows of people, produce, and media products.
Students at the Food Studies MA program at New York University develop a range of skills, including:
- How to apply an interdisciplinary approach to understand the cultural, political, and economic aspects of the food system
- How to discuss with fluency issues related to food sovereignty, sustainability, ethics, and culture
- How to assess policies that shape the food landscape, addressing questions of equity and preserving cultural values
Careers and Outcomes
Graduates of the Food Studies MA find jobs in all areas within the food industry:
- Publishing (magazines, newspapers, online sources)
- Public relations (restaurants, food lobby groups, cookbooks, food organizations)
- Marketing (for restaurants, celebrity chefs, cookbooks, organizations)
- Nonprofit work (education, food/hunger advocacy groups)
- Food operations (wine importers/distributors, restaurants, retail)
- Local and national governmental (city government, federal government, food regulations, relations between industry and government)
- NGO work in advocacy and policy (farming, labor, food scarcity, trade)
- Development organizations (community building, national programs, international trade and aid organizations)
- Food production companies (producers and manufacturers of food items)
- Food distribution companies (importation, transportation, and retail)
- Contemporary Issues in Food Studies
- Food Systems
- Food Policy
- Food and Culture
- Nutrition in Food Studies
- Current Research in Food Studies
- Research Applications
- Food Legislation, Regulations & Enforcement
- Food Advocacy
- Advanced Topics in Food Systems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Nutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 212 other Masters in Food Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at New York University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
International80800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
National80800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.