Our faculty members are heading social studies curriculum reform and ongoing research in social studies teaching. You will work closely with them to learn:
- A strong mastery of US and world histories
- Teaching approaches, pedagogical theories, and practical strategies for teaching middle and high school students
- How to develop and implement innovative curricula for teaching social studies in multicultural and multiethnic schools
In this Teaching Social Studies, Grades 7–12, Initial Certification from New York University, you’ll learn how to integrate historical narrative with novels, film, music, photography, and visual arts, and incorporate geography, economics, political science, psychology, sociology, and anthropology into your social studies teaching, preparing you to teach the social science elective courses offered in many secondary schools.
Careers and Outcomes
Upon graduation, you’ll be eligible for certification to teach social studies, history, and the humanities for grades 7–12 in New York, with an option to pursue a certificate extension to also teach grades 5–6. You’ll be prepared for a career as a social studies teacher, teacher trainer, or curriculum specialist in middle and high schools, educational agencies, and community colleges.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Key Debates in US History
- Key Debates in World History
- MA Seminar in Social Studies
- Teaching Social Studies in the Middle and Secondary School
- Language and Literacy Acquisition and Development
- Inquiries into Teaching and Learning
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology View 349 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- 15 semester hours of history and geography of the US and the world
- 3 semester hours of government, politics, or political science
- 3 semester hours of economics
- 3 additional semester hours of history, geography, government, politics, political science, economics, sociology or anthropology
- 3 semester hours of a language other than English (American Sign Language is acceptable)
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.