Throughout your curriculum, you’ll learn:
- Core mathematics content knowledge and strategies for teaching mathematics to middle and high school students
- Approaches for adapting curricula, assessments, and learning environments to meet the needs of students with disabilities in general education classrooms
- Integrating technology into the teaching of mathematics in middle and secondary school
The core field component of this program consists of two semesters of supervised student teaching at the middle and high school levels, allowing you to refine and reflect on your teaching practice in coordination with a supervising teacher and your NYU field supervisor. In the Teaching Mathematics - Transformational Teaching, Grades 7–12, Initial Certification MA program from New York University you will complete 100 hours of fieldwork prior to student teaching.
Careers and Outcomes
The program leads to eligibility for New York State initial certification as a teacher of mathematics, grades 7–12, with an option to pursue a certificate extension to also teach grades 5–6. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for a number of career paths, including:
- Teacher of mathematics and related subjects, including computer science, in middle and high schools
- Mathematics curriculum specialist, coordinator, or evaluator in schools and school districts
- Researcher or teacher educator in colleges and universities
- Trainer or specialist in applied mathematics in corporate and other private sector settings
- Mathematical Proof and Proving
- Selected Topics in Modern Mathematics: Number Theory
- Selected Topics in Modern Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- Mathematical Modeling
- Mathematical Investigation and Problem Posing
- Research Investigations in Mathematics Education
- Inquiries into Teaching and Learning
- Language and Literacy Acquisition and Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Teaching Actuarial Science View 918 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- 30 credits of acceptable mathematics content at a Calculus 1 level and above, including two semesters of calculus
- 3 semester hours of a language other than English (American Sign Language is acceptable)
International56010 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56010 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National56010 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56010 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.