Nationally recognized, full-time faculty members will teach most of your courses, ensuring that you learn:
- Explicit techniques for teaching reading and writing skills to pre-kindergarten and elementary school students of all learning levels
- Methods for meeting the literacy needs within specific subject areas such as science, math, English, and social studies
- Supportive strategies for the literacy and language development of diverse learners at varying developmental stages, skill levels, and socio-cultural contexts
- A diagnostic-intervention protocol to guide all children's progress toward English Language Arts (ELA) standards
- Leadership skills for facilitating school literacy improvement as a literacy coach
Careers and Outcomes
The Literacy Education, Birth–Grade 6, Professional Certification MA program from New York University is open to candidates who hold or are eligible for initial teaching certificates in Early Childhood or Childhood Education. This degree leads to eligibility for the New York State Literacy Specialist Certificate. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for a number of careers including:
- Classroom teacher or interventionist with specialized expertise teaching reading and writing in public or private preschools and schools through grade 6
- School literacy specialist or literacy coach, including through the NYC DOE literacy specialist hiring initiative
- Literacy expert in clinical settings, including private tutoring, dyslexia intervention, and psychoeducational centers
- Editor or publisher of educational materials for literacy teaching and assessment
- First and Second Language Development: Building a Foundation for Literacy
- Literacy Assessment
- Reading Theory and Practices in Early Childhood/Childhood
- Writing Theory and Practices in Early Childhood/Childhood
- Policies and Politics of Literacy
- Texts, Tools, and Culture
- Facilitating School Literacy Reform
- Clinical Literacy Practicum in Early Childhood/Childhood
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Literature View 4051 other Masters in Education in United States
- Statement Of Purpose
- Letters Of Recommendation
- GRE or MAT
- Proficiency in English
- Teacher Certification - You are required to scan and upload evidence of your teacher certification, credential, or license as part of your application. If you are currently in school and expect to receive your teacher's certification after you graduate, you will use this section on the application to upload a note indicating this.
International56010 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56010 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National56010 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56010 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.