We balance diverse aspects of ethnomusicology by stressing performance, music transcription, theory and analysis, and social and intellectual history equally. We collaborate regularly with music theory, historical musicology, and composition divisions in the School of Music, and are linked to Area Studies and other departments across the university.
Our goal for every student is to communicate our dedication to and love for the musics of the world, and to encourage original, critical, and constructive writing on music that will enable graduates to contribute actively to scholarship, education, and the cultures of world musics around us.
The Ethnomusicology program from University of British Columbia students and faculty comprise a small community, but our time together is intense and vibrant, and excellent work is being done.
- Ethnomusicology: History and Orientations
- Readings in Ethnomusicology
- World Music Ensemble
- Seminars in Ethnomusicology, Musicology, or Music Theory
- Music Electives
- Cognate Electives
- German, French, or language of area specialization
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Music Musicology View 34 other Masters in Musicology in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of British Columbia and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Applicants should apply without contacting individual faculty members prior to the application. Identification of potential faculty members in the application form is optional. Faculty members will review applications of applicants they are interested in and get in touch as part of the applicant evaluation.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International9313 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9313 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5301 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5301 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.