At the Communicative Sciences and Disorders MSc program from New York University students will learn methods of prevention, assessment, and intervention for people with communication and swallowing disorders, as well as how to integrate research principles into evidence-based clinical practice. An optional thesis is available for students interested in pursuing advanced research.
Upon graduation, you'll be positioned for eligibility for professional licensure as a speech-language pathologist. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of:
- The principles of biological sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, and social and behavioral sciences
- How to integrate research principles in evidence-based clinical practice
- Prerequisite skills in oral and written communication sufficient for entry into professional practice
- Basic human communication and swallowing processes, including their biological, neurological, acoustic, psychological, developmental, linguistic, and cultural bases
- The nature of speech, language, hearing, and communication disorders and differences and swallowing disorders, including etiologies, characteristics, anatomical /physiological, acoustic, psychological, developmental, and linguistic and cultural correlates
- Principles and methods of prevention, assessment, and intervention for people with communication and swallowing disorders, including consideration of anatomical/physiological, developmental, and linguistic and cultural correlates of the disorders
- Standards of ethical conduct
- Contemporary professional issues
- Certification, specialty recognition, licensure, and other relevant professional credentials
Our graduates secure jobs in a variety of settings, such as public/private schools, hospitals, rehabilitation programs, skilled nursing facilities, private practices, and therapeutic preschool programs.
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Swallow Mechanisms
- Neurological Basis of Cognition, Behavior, and Communication
- Audiology and Aural Rehabilitation
- Science of Language
- Language Development and Disorders
- Speech Development and Disorders in Children
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Special Education Linguistics View 722 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Supplemental Essay - In your opinion, how does social media and the use of smartphones impact interpersonal relationships/communication?
- Re-Application Essay: If you are re-applying to NYU Steinhardt's CSD Program, please briefly describe the steps you have taken to strengthen your application since your last submission. Please include when you applied and what modality (on-campus or online).
- English Proficiency Exam (if applicable)
International35846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 89616 USD for the full programme during 30 months.
National35846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 89616 USD for the full programme during 30 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.