The emphasis on practical field work, cultural pragmatics and anthropological perspectives makes this Linguistics - Language Consultancy and Linguistic Documentation MA programme offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam unique in the Netherlands.
Upon graduation, the student has the knowledge, skills and expertise to function as a linguistic consultant or linguistic researcher in many settings, especially in translation, cross-cultural communication and language documentation:
- knowledge of current developments in the fields of typological, descriptive and anthropological linguistics;
- the ability to reflect critically on scholarly publications in these fields;
- the skills to carry out linguistic research in fieldwork and cross-cultural linguistic consultancy settings in a methodologically adequate and systematic fashion;
- the ability to communicate the results of his or her research clearly and systematically to both fellow linguists and audiences outside academia;
- the ability to write a reference grammar of an underdocumented language in accordance with the international standards of descriptive and documentary linguistics.
Your Future Prospects
- The program enables you to work in the domains of language consultancy, linguistic documentation;
- (Bible) translation in the roles of consultant or researcher;
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Articulatory Phonetics and Typology of Sounds
- Linguistic Research
- Describing Morphosyntax
- Antropological Linguistics
- Field Methods and Linguistic Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 49 other Masters in Language Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent
- Students with a Bachelor's in a modern language, a Bachelor's in classics or in communication- and information science with a minimum of 60 ECTS in linguistic courses are also admissible
- Copy of your valid passport or ID (ID only for EU residents)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter: a letter explaining your motivation for the application and an indication of your desired research focus
- Transcript of records
- Thesis (or another sample of academic writing, at least 5 pages plus a list of used literature)
- A description of the relevant courses you have taken during your previous higher education and a list of all the main literature.
International15546 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15546 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.