In response to the new challenges of contemporary society, there is an ever greater intertwining of expertise in the natural and engineering sciences. Modern education in the engineering sciences must, in turn, prepare students not only in classical disciplines, serving the needs of specific industries, but it must also address the need for interdisciplinary training.
The master's program in Materials Science and Engineering at Technical University of Munich rises to this challenge by offering a scientific, interdisciplinary education in engineering, involving a total of seven departments (BGU, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Informatics, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics and Physics). Key objectives of the program include, enabling students to physically and mathematically model complex technical-physical processes and systems accounting for the materials to be employed, that is, to theoretically comprehend and apply the fundamental disciplines of engineering and to chemically and physically describe them.
Additionally, the program accounts for the current paradigm shift away from deterministic models towards predictive science. It is this that makes the TUM MS&E program unique, as it is designed to give students a probabilistic view of the material properties of physical and engineering science systems from the start and, thus, to convey the necessity of stochastic modeling, which has not yet made its way into the curricula of other program.
Which professional opportunities can I take up with this qualification?
- Graduates are qualified to pursue opportunities in research, development, and teaching at research institutions and universities, as well as in interdisciplinary industries, such as the aerospace and energy sectors.
- Medical technology, testing, measurement and monitoring technology and other sectors in which interdisciplinary engineering plays a central role.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Starting in the second semester, students have the possibility to elect one of the four specializations
- Multiscale Material Principles
- Materials in Engineering Applications
- Uncertainty Quantification and Mathematical Modeling und
- Material Characterization, Testing and Surveillance
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 29 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application Print-out (signed)
- Transcript of Records (certified copy)
- Degree Certificate and Diploma or Subject and Grade Transcript of Studies to Date (certified copy)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (certified copy)
- Letter of Motivation
- Complete and Current Résumé (CV)
- Passport (copy)
- Most Current Photo (as for ID)
- Proof of German Language Proficiency (certified copy) - international applicants only
- Preliminary evaluation by uni-assist for graduate certificates (i.e. a bachelor's degree) obtained in a country outside of the EU/EEA
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.