We offer a strong focus on theoretical understanding, drawing on the expertise of the department which is particularly strong in theory development.
Additionally, you will acquire the necessary empirical skills to complement your theoretical understanding.
In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014), Linguistics research at Edinburgh is ranked 1st in Scotland and 2nd in the UK (Times Higher Education, Modern Languages and Linguistics, Rank order by GPA).
Key aims and skills
The key aims of the Linguistics program offered by The University of Edinburgh are to:
- provide integrated specialist knowledge in core areas of linguistics
- establish a foundation for advanced research in those areas
- provide a comprehensive understanding of the basic principles of research in theoretical and descriptive linguistics
- develop analytical skills in an interdisciplinary context
Graduates from our programme will understand how to:
- analyse key data in core areas of linguistics
- theorise such data
- exploit empirical methods to test their theories
These skills provide a firm foundation for further PhD study, either in linguistics or in a related discipline that makes heavy use of core linguistics (for example, Developmental Linguistics, Sociolinguistics).
This MSc can lead to a variety of career options depending upon your chosen focus.
This programme is best suited to applicants whose academic background is in:
- English language
- cognitive science
It is also suitable for applicants from other academic backgrounds looking for a conversion course that will provide an intensive foundation in linguistics.
This programme is not suitable for applicants wishing to pursue supplementary training in the areas of translation studies or teaching English as a foreign language.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
There are 3 application rounds.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 462 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in theoretical linguistics, applied linguistics, modern languages, English language, cognitive science or psychology.
International26300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home - £6,250
- International/EU - £13,150
Living costs for Edinburgh
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments.
The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on:
- your programme
- the duration of your studies
- your tuition fee status
Programmes studied on a part-time intermittent basis are not eligible.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.