The MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a UK-based academic Masters degree that is designed to develop existing professional skills. The programme will engage you in the critical analysis of contemporary discussion and debate surrounding the teaching of languages in both foreign and second language contexts around the world.
It is not an English language or teacher training course.If you are passionate about teaching English to speakers of other languages and want to deepen your knowledge, understanding and practical skills in language learning and education, then this is the programme for you.
You will graduate ready to contribute academically and professionally to the rapidly changing world of international English language education.
The range of professional skills developed through the programme will ensure you are well placed to find employment all over the world, as a teacher, trainer, lecturer, instructor, administrator or director of study within language schools, colleges of further education, universities or organisations such as the British Council. Alternatively, you may wish to consider embarking on MPhil or doctoral research.
- Theories of Second Language Education
- Practical Knowledge of TESOL
- TESOL Syllabus and Material Development
- Researching TESOL
- Educational Management of TESOL
- TESOL and International Education
- TESOL and Learners with Specific Learning Difficulties
- TESOL and Young Learners
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 334 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- To join this MA you should have a degree equivalent to UK second class honours (2:2 or above) in a field related to Language, English or Education. You should also have two years or more of relevant TESOL experience. If you have less than two years teaching experience, you will be considered if you have an outstanding academic record in a relevant field and can demonstrate insight into language learning and teaching.
- In addition to an academic reference, the University also requires a statement from a referee who oversaw your teaching duties at the institution or organisation where your TESOL experience has taken place.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5220 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5220 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Tuition fees for part-time study on this MA are £29 per credit for UK and EU students enrolling on the programme in academic year 2019/20. i.e. £580 per 20 credit module.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.