AADS faculty and students understand the urgent need to critically address all aspects of Black life. The graduate program requires students to grapple with questions central to the field such as:
What is Blackness and how is it lived and expressed throughout the African Diaspora?
What is race and how has it functioned in intersection with gender, sexuality, and class in the constitution of modernity, space, and selfhood?
What is the relationship of slavery and anti-black racisms to capitalism, empire, and democracy, and what are the legacies?
What are the cultural, imaginative, and institutional forms that have organized Black communal life?
Students will pursue these and other questions by engaging key works within the subfields of Black Feminism, Black History, Black Queer Theory, Critical Race Theory, Critical Educational Studies, Performance Studies, Political Economy, and Political Philosophy. The program's objective is to provide students with the broad foundational knowledge necessary to pursue an academic career or to conduct scholarly research in African and African Diaspora Studies (also known as African, Black, African and African-American, African, and/or Black Diaspora Studies) or related fields.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Black Political Thought
- Black Women's Intellectual His
- Black Atlantic Modernisms
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 421 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- An official score for the Graduate Record Examinations General Test (GRE), unless otherwise specified by the graduate program to which the student is applying. International students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Adequate subject preparation for the proposed major. Evidence of adequate preparation varies by program, but examples include letters of reference, auditions, samples of work, and personal statements
- A grade point average of at least 3.00 in upper-division (junior- and senior-level) coursework and in any graduate work already completed.
International17694 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8847 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National17694 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8847 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State8928 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4464 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.