Relationship Between the Master's and Doctorate Programs
The Conservation of Archaeological and Ethnographic Materials (CAEM) M.A. degree program from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), is a practice- focused degree, rich in scientific content, scholarly approach and research methodology. Students apply directly to the CAEM M.A. Degree Program. The practice-focused CAEM M.A. Program should not be confused with the research-focused Conservation of Material Culture (CMC) M.S./Ph.D. Program should not be confused with the practice-focused also offered by the Conservation IDP that trains professional conservators.
The CAEM M.A. degree however, requires an additional 32 units of conservation laboratory courses, a short practice application-oriented or research-based M.A. paper and an eleventh month internship (most commonly in a conservation department of a museum) enabling students to develop integrative and intense practice experiences and informed treatment skills, preparing them for professional conservation careers.
- Fiat Lux Freshman Seminars
- Student Research Program
- Field Methods in Archaeological Conservation: Readiness, Response, and Recovery
- Managing Collections for Museums, Libraries, and Archives
- Cultural Materials Science Laboratory: Technical Study
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology View 38 other Masters in Archaeology in United States
- Portfolio: Each applicant must submit a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of the characteristics of materials and dexterity in their handling, fabrication and preservation.
- Because of their common application in the conservation field, the portfolio should include samples of treatment reports, representational drawings, photography, and/or scientific illustration.
- Samples should demonstrate the use of drawing and photography for documentation purposes, particularly those produced during the applicant's experience in a conservation laboratory, fieldwork or exhibit preparation.
International32374 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32374 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National32374 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32374 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State17272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17272 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.