This Environmental Law and Sustainable Development programme from SOAS University of London offers a wide range of distinctive modules that combine a focus on core subjects in the field alongside a critical inquiry into the theory and practice of environmental law, particularly as they relate to the global South.
Why study MA in Environmental Law and Sustainable Development at SOAS
- we are UK Top 20 and World Top 200 for Law (QS World University Rankings 2021)
- SOAS degree offers a distinct and unique mix of modules that covers the main areas of environmental law in their international and national dimensions, with a focus on the global South.
- SOAS, we understand environmental law as deeply connected with human and social issues. This is why our compulsory introductory course is a course on Law Environment and Social Justice. This also explains why human rights dimensions find repeated place in our courses
- our international environmental law focused courses (International Environmental Law, Climate Change Law and Policy, and Law and Global Commons) will offer you a strong bases in some of the main challenges arising at the international and global level and provide you particular insights in the global South-global North aspects of relevant regimes that are on the whole structured around a North-South dichotomy
Students have gone on to take up a variety of exciting opportunities. Some graduates have decided to carry on with further academic studies and have undertaken a PhD in environmental law; some have gone on to practice environmental law in their own countries.
Graduates have worked for environmental consultancies, such as Milieu in Brussels or specific environmental law advisory organisations, such as ClientEarth and Climate Law and Policy; some have gone on to work on environmental issues in international organisations; and others have gone on to work more broadly on sustainable development in international NGOs and inter-governmental organisations.
A postgraduate degree in environmental law and sustainable development opens many doors, reflecting the broad scope of the course and the multiplicity of ways in which it can be applied in the workplace and is an excellent base for further study towards a research degree such as a PhD leading to an academic career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Law, Environment and Social Justice
- Preliminary Law, Legal Reasoning and Legal Methods
- Climate Change Law and Policy
- Law and Natural Resources
- Water Justice: Rights, Access and Movements (Law)
- International Environmental Law: Principles, Institutions & Enforcement
- International Environmental Law: Biodiversity, Wildlife & Habitats
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Legal Studies Environmental Sciences View 323 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23680 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23680 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16400 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £8,200/year
- Overseas: £11,840/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK: £5,460/year
- Overseas: £7,890/year
Part Time 4 Years (LLM only):
- UK: £4,100/year
- Overseas: £5,640/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.