The Mathematics Education programme offered by the University of Cambridge is taught by a specialist team, and its student cohort is drawn primarily from UK-based professionals (most of whom continue in their full-time posts while taking the course part-time) and international students (most of whom take the course on a full-time basis as a specialism within the Educational Research master's route).The Mathematics Education route develops students' understanding of a number of important issues in the field of mathematics education. Students learn to interpret and critically engage with ideas and debates in mathematics education research in three ways:
- through taught sessions in mathematics education
- through work on course assignments under the supervision of a member of the teaching team
- through participation in seminars led by students on the route and in project workshops
- examine the theoretical frameworks used in the study of education and its constituent disciplines
- provide training in research methods appropriate to education
- advance students’ capacity for professional reflection and judgment
- cater to a range of specialists interested within the field of education or one of its constituent disciplines
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of literature and concepts relating to mathematics education research and practice
- show abilities in the critical analysis of mathematics education issues and practices
- apply knowledge and understanding of educational research to plan and implement inquiry into an issue related to the course
- communicate the outcomes of their study and research through extended writing conforming to stipulated academic expectations and conventions
- The Mathematics Masters modules are taught by means of a combination of lectures, seminars, reading groups, workshops and student presentations. Self-directed study includes pre-session readings, preparation for presentations, and practical research activities.
- All MEd students also attend educational research methods sessions as part of the Research Methods strand.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics View 753 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Cambridge and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK II.i Honours Degree
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Reasons for applying
- Written task
International15647 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15647 GBP per year during 24 months.
National6263 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6263 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.