The fundamental laws of physics find application in almost every branch of science, engineering and technology.Physics and Astronomy program of Iowa State University has active research programs in Astronomy/Astrophysics, Condensed Matter Physics, High-energy Physics, Nuclear Physics, and Biophysics. Our high-energy physics, particle astrophysics and nuclear physics groups are involved in experiments which recreate the conditions of the early universe and help explain how it has evolved. In providing instruction in classical and modern physics, we cover such areas as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, introductory modern physics, and quantum mechanics.
Albert Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity implies that black holes could exist, astrophysicists demonstrated that they should exist, and astronomers, observing with many different telescopes, have demonstrated that they are common in the universe. They are found with masses ranging from a few times to more than ten billion times that of the sun.
They are observed from the lowest radio frequencies to the highest energy gamma rays and most recently through gravitational radiation. We are getting close to the point where they can be imaged directly so that we should be able to test our ideas of how they work. The strange and wonderful behavior of black holes will be described and compared with some alternate realities created in the movies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physics and astronomy are basic natural sciences that attempt to describe and provide an understanding of our world. They serve as the underpinning of many different disciplines, including the other natural sciences and technological areas.
- Students may choose physics for their major subject as preparation for diverse areas such as engineering, medicine, law, business administration, etc., or simply as a challenging approach to personal development with an emphasis on rigorous scientific thinking. Other students choose physics as preparation towards a career as a professional physicist or a science educator.
- Whatever your goals, the Department of Physics and Astronomy offers coursework that will help you develop your understanding of the natural world.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 66 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All application material is submitted online through the Office of Admissions. We encourage you to review the application instructions for US applicants or International applicants before starting your application. If you need any assistance with any part of the application process, please e-mail our graduate secretary, Ms. Kaylee Wellik.
- Due to COVID-19, we temporarily suspend the GRE requirement for graduate admission for Fall 2021 application cycle. Submission of GRE score is optional during this period for students who were able to take the exam, but missing GRE score will not negatively affect the application process.
- The department has a limited number of application fee waivers available for highly qualified students. If you are interested, please apply for the waiver before starting your application with the Office of Admissions. Applications for a fee waiver will only be accepted until December 15.
International26352 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13176 USD per semester and a duration of .
National24720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12360 USD per semester and a duration of .
In-State9758 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4879 USD per semester and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.