About this Degree
Geoscientists, who study Earth processes and resources to understand and help address these and related issues, are in high demand. A graduate degree in Geology opens the door to career opportunities that involve: work that helps sustain society and protect the planet; innovative technologies; and outdoor adventures and world travel.
Learning Goals that students in this Geology program at Iowa State University are expected to meet include:
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of scholarly literature in the area of geological sciences; Form testable hypotheses and articulate research objectives that, when met, will lead to significant contributions to the field of geology; Conduct qualitative and/or quantitative research via appropriate acquisition, analysis, and reporting of data; Interpret research results appropriately, integrating them into the existing knowledge in the discipline; Clearly and accurately communicate research findings orally and in writing, and often through the use images (tables, figures, and other forms of imagery) and electronic or other forms of media; Articulate how the graduate program, including coursework and creative scholarship, fits into life and career goals; and Conduct scholarship, in teams or with independence, in ways that consistently demonstrate ethical practice and professionalism.
Area(s) of Emphasis (for program use only):
- Mineralogy; Petrology
- Structural Geology
- Sedimentary Geology
- Petroleum Geology
- Geoscience Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Priority date of December 1
DisciplinesGeology Environmental Sciences View 278 other Masters in Geology in United States
A prospective student’s application is reviewed by the ISU Graduate College with the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA greater than 3.0 of most recent degree.
- For foreign students, English proficiency exam scores that meet the Graduate College requirements. This is waived for students who have attended an English-speaking college or university.
A prospective student’s application is reviewed by the Geology Graduate Applications Committee with the following criteria:
- Excellence in undergraduate coursework
- Preparedness for graduate research
- Writing ability
- Letters of recommendation
International28544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14272 USD per semester during 12 months.
National26776 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13388 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State10572 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5286 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Ames
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.