Advances in Biotechnology and Biodesign programme from Newcastle University are being coupled with design thinking approaches to engineer biological systems that may produce more sustainable products than traditional manufacturing. Examples include:
- the production of synthetic meat substitutes
- dairy-free milk
- adaptive building materials
- petroleum-replacement products
- designer antimicrobial compounds
- smart drug delivery systems
What you'll learn
Throughout the course, you will gain an advanced understanding of:
- scientific concepts and practices that underpin industrial biotechnology
- principles of design thinking and project design
- scientific concepts of the role of recombinant DNA technology in both fundamental research and applied technology
- the role of microorganisms in the search and discovery of commercially significant natural products
- the role of biotechnology in agriculture and commercial enterprise
- control and modelling concepts and their application in bioprocessing systems
- statistical concepts and theory and their application in process engineering
- advanced practical skills in molecular biological techniques, handling microorganisms and data analysis
- Practical Techniques in Molecular Biology
- Biotechnology: Advanced Topics
- Ideas for Business Enterprise for Postgraduates in Science Agriculture and Engineering
- MRes Project and Dissertation
- Antimicrobial Drug Discovery
- Applied Bioinformatics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesDesign Biology Biotechnology View 488 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- A 2.1 Honours degree or international equivalent in biology, chemistry, or related discipline.
- We will also consider your application on an individual basis if you have a degree in a related subject not listed above or a lower/non-standard qualification with significant industrial or professional experience.
- English Language requirements
International27300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.