During the Physics with Mathematics Secondary with QTS course at Liverpool John Moores University you will prepare to teach Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 Physics. In addition, complementary sessions are aimed at consolidating your knowledge of Key Stage 3 Biology and Chemistry which you will teach as a component of the Secondary Science Curriculum.
During your training you will focus on a variety of approaches and pedagogies used in Physics and Mathematics education, emphasising the application of theory to practice. A sequence of micro-teaching experiences will allow you to develop and share with peers, your understanding of learning and teaching strategies that support effective practice in the classroom.
You will explore signature pedagogies of Science such as practical and investigative work, modelling, and problem solving. Sessions will help you deepen your understanding of the role and nature of Physics and Mathematics in the curriculum and identify your own personal philosophy of education in these subjects.
Our applied learning techniques and strong industry connections ensure our students are fully prepared for the workplace on graduation and understand how to apply their knowledge in a real world context.
Teacher Training employment prospects at LJMU are extremely good, with most subjects exceeding the national averages.
The PGDE course is intended for those preparing to enter the teaching profession and most of our students go on to achieve their career goal, working in state or independent schools and colleges. Teaching provides a variety of pathways leading to specialist roles ranging from pastoral to subject leadership and on into school leadership positions.
University-based study includes:
- a full-time block of three weeks at the start of the course in September
- one day per week until January
- six one-week study blocks at university between October and June
- a number of conference days throughout the year
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Physics Mathematics View 269 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- an honours degree (or equivalent) in a related subject. See Details tab for subject specific requirements
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at minimum grade C/4 or equivalent. (Level 2 numeracy and literacy are not acceptable)
- to demonstrate an interest in teaching within the curriculum area. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of the chosen curriculum area, relevant practical experience
- to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme.
International16900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.