Executive Master of Public Administration - A unique forum for exchange, learning and professional development
The Executive MPA at the Hertie School is designed for leaders who want to acquire the knowledge and tools needed to address the challenges of modern governance. This programme provides a solid foundation in principles of governance, public policy and management and empowers you to lead teams and organisations, shape decision-making and manage change in the workplace.
In the Executive MPA, choose one of three areas of concentration:
- Leading innovation and managing change
- Digitalisation and big data
- Global governance challenges
A flexible programme
Study full time in one year or part time in two to four years. You can also book most Executive MPA courses individually or as a certificate, which allows you to accumulate credits towards the full degree over time.
Berlin – a vibrant European hub for public dialogue
Germany’s capital is an epicentre for policy-makers and public debates. A hub for both political and cultural events, and a crossroads for travel in Europe and beyond, Berlin draws in people from all around the world. The Hertie School, located in the city's "Mitte" neighbourhood, is just minutes away from the German parliament, the Brandenburg Gate and other important political and historic landmarks – a fascinating environment for studying public administration. Whether moving to Berlin or simply commuting to the city to attend courses, Executive MPA students have plenty of opportunities to build their network in one of Europe’s most exciting cultural, historical and political centres.
Apply for fall 2021
Applications for the Executive MPA will be accepted from 1 December until 1 August. The Executive MPA programme is aimed at highly motivated professionals with proven leadership potential or experience. The priority deadline for applications to be considered for most of the Hertie School’s scholarships is 1 June. As only a small cohort of students is accepted per year and scholarship funds are limited, early application is strongly recommended.
About the Hertie School
The Hertie School is an international teaching and research centre of excellence located in vibrant and cosmopolitan Berlin.
Our motto is Understand today. Shape tomorrow. We attract a highly talented student body from diverse national and disciplinary backgrounds—united by a desire to make a difference and to bring about a better future. We offer them a study environment characterised by close interaction with faculty, lively public debates and engagement with current policy developments. As a member of the Global Public Policy Network (GPPN), the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA) and CIVICA – the European University of Social Sciences, the Hertie School gives students access to an exciting global network.
As an ambassador of good governance and public stewardship, the Hertie School is a hub for top scholars, experts and representatives from the spheres of politics, business and civil society, who contribute to events at the school. Our students actively contribute to these debates and regularly spearhead their own initiatives to foster the public good.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International executive programme (MPA degree) in English located in the heart of Berlin
- Flexible programme: Study full-time (1 year) or part-time (2-4 years)
- 14 courses in Berlin and one four-day workshop in Brussels or London
- 2-3 day block courses allow flexibility for students who work alongside their studies or need to commute to Berlin
- Acquire core knowledge in governance, public policy and management and specialise in one of three areas of concentration: Leading innovation and managing change, Digitalisation and big data or Global governance frontiers
- Attend courses at leading European partner institutions including ESCP Europe (Executive MBA), Copenhagen Business School (MPG) and University of Bern (Executive MPA)
- Annual programme start: September, modular entry via single certificate courses also possible
When you join the Executive MPA, you are joining a tight-knit and diverse group of professionals who have an average of 9 years of work experience in a variety of sectors and industries.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications for the Executive MPA open on 1 December. The priority deadline (for scholarship applicants) is 1 June. The final deadline is 1 August.
DisciplinesManagement Studies Public Administration Innovation Management View 39 other Masters in Innovation Management in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A higher education degree in any discipline
- At least three years of relevant work experience (the average is ten years)
- Proficiency in English
Please upload the required documents to the online application portal:
- Current CV indicating your academic background, work experience, voluntary activities. Please do not include a photo in your CV.
- Letter of motivation (500-900 words) explaining your specific interest in the Executive MPA.
- Copies of official academic transcripts of all attended universities. Every transcript must include a transcript key (an explanation of the grading system). If not in English, we require a certified translation into English.
- Two letters of reference. One reference letter must come from your current or most recent employer.
- Copy of English proficiency certificate by (for non-native speakers who did not complete their entire undergraduate degree in English).
You must have at least three years of work experience, excluding internships, to be eligible for admission. Executive MPA students have an average of ten years of prior professional experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34500 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA34500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34500 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Tuition for the Executive MPA is 34,500 EUR. The two-year programme is 8,625 EUR per semester, and the one-year programme is 17,250 EUR per semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Apply for partial scholarships that cover 10% to 50% of tuition fees
- About 50% of Hertie School students receive financial aid or a scholarship
- Financial aid and scholarships are granted for the entire period of study and are allocated on a rolling basis up until the final application deadline on 1 August
- Applicants who need financial assistance are encouraged to apply by the priority deadline on 1 June in order to receive admissions and financial aid decisions sooner.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.