The Geography Secondary with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) programme at Liverpool John Moores University is designed to develop reflective practitioners, able to apply a deep understanding of the curriculum, learners and learning to impact on the development and achievement of young people.
Our courses support the development of your: practical and critical understanding of educational theory and practice; reflective practice linked to professional development; practitioner research skills for effective teaching and learning and your understanding and application of subject knowledge.
The PGDE course is intended for those preparing to enter the teaching profession and most of our students go on to achieve their career goal, working in state or independent schools and colleges. Teaching provides a variety of pathways leading to specialist roles ranging from pastoral to subject leadership and on into school leadership positions.
After completing your PGDE you can progress to the MA Education Practice programme for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) which will enable you to complete a full MA during your first year of employment
- The subject knowledge sessions in the programme focus on common misconceptions held by Secondary Geography students and emphasise active learning and investigative teaching.
- As well as broadening your own geographical knowledge, these sessions introduce you to strategies that allow you to make your subject knowledge as accessible and practical as possible to students.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Earth Sciences Geography View 794 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- an honours degree (or equivalent) in a related subject. See Details tab for subject specific requirements
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at minimum grade C/4 or equivalent. (Level 2 numeracy and literacy are not acceptable)
- to demonstrate an interest in teaching within the curriculum area. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of the chosen curriculum area, relevant practical experience
- to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme.
International16900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.