This two-year, 48-credit program trains mental health care providers to work in primary care settings, as well as more traditional clinical psychology settings. The curriculum of the program, in conjunction with 1 year of supervised postgraduate experience in an organized health care setting, is designed to fulfill the course requirements for the Michigan Limited License in Psychology.
The Clinical Health Psychology program of University of Michigan-Dearborn is designed for the full or part-time student who has an undergraduate degree and wishes to obtain a degree in the Behavioral Sciences leading to the Michigan Limited License in Psychology. Graduates of the program are prepared to provide evaluation, counseling and therapy services to clients in a variety of clinical settings with an emphasis on using psychological interventions in the treatment of medical problems.
- Psychotherapy Skills Acquisition: To train students in the skills and knowledge necessary to be an effective and ethical psychotherapist. This includes the ability to treat a variety of psychopathologies employing a clear theoretical perspective, and apply behavioral medicine therapies for medical conditions.
- Assessment Skills Acquisition: To train students in the skills and knowledge necessary to accurately and efficiently determine a broad range of functioning and health including psychological assessment and diagnosing psychopathology. This includes assessing the role of psychological processes as contributing factors to traditional medical concerns.
- Testing Skills Acquisition: To train students in the application and use of personality and cognitive testing. This includes the administration, scoring, and interpretation of common psychological tests.
- Research Methods: To train students to understand and apply research on disease/disorder etiology and treatment to their clinical practice.
- Professional and Ethical Development: To indoctrinate students into their role and identity as professional healthcare providers.
- Professional Report Writing: To train students in professional communication and report writing including intake assessment reports and psychological testing reports.
- Knowledge of Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine: Students will be able to demonstrate basic knowledge of the major concepts used in health psychology and behavioral medicine. This includes a general understanding of basic theories, research findings, and medical knowledge used within these disciplines.
- Advanced Health Psychology
- Basic Methods and Statistics in Health Psychology
- Advanced Psychopathology
- Theories and Techniques of Therapeutic Intervention
- Biological Foundations of Health Psychology
- Psychological Assessment
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Although we will continue to consider applications until both programs are full, we strongly recommend that you have all required application materials in by March 15th. We receive a large number of applications and individuals submitting late applications significantly reduce their chances of admission.
- M.S. in Psychology admits for fall term only.
DisciplinesPsychology Human Medicine Clinical Psychology View 1187 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- A BA or BS degree in Psychology or a related field with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- Undergraduate classes in Introductory Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, and Statistics required; Health Psychology and Research Methods recommended but not required
- GRE general test scores (quantitative and verbal combined of approximately 300). The admissions committee will consider a waiver request on a case by case basis: however, waivers are not typically granted.
- Personal statement instructions for both Health and Clinical Health Psychology.
Three letters of recommendation (at least two of which are academic) are needed.
International34488 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1437 USD per credit during 24 months.
National34488 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1437 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State19440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 810 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Dearborn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.