The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies (IMES) programme offered by The University of Edinburgh is ideal if you have a clear idea of the independent research you wish to undertake at masters level.
With over 260 years of history in teaching and research, we are globally recognised as a leading centre for postgraduate study in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Our research resources and facilities are outstanding, and we have excellent links with a number of centres and networks, including the Alwaleed Centre and the Centre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies.
You are not required to have any prior competence in a Middle Eastern language, but you will have the opportunity to take courses in Arabic, Persian or Turkish.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Our expertise includes:
- language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature, classical Persian literature, cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
- history and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran and Egypt
- religion: early and classical Islam, Qur’an and Qur’anic exegesis, Hadith, the biography of Muhammad, Sufism, Islam in the Ottoman Empire
- contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
- arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: particularly visual arts, cinema
- gender and sexuality in the Middle East and North Africa, contemporary Arab media
- Shi’ism: Shi’i history and contemporary Shi’ism
- Islam and Muslims in Europe
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Religious Studies & Theology Islamic Studies View 24 other Masters in Islamic Studies in United Kingdom
- MScR: A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £4,600
- International/EU: £12,000
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.