The MSc by Research programme in Architecture from The University of Edinburgh comprises a compulsory research methods course, the choice of one optional course and a 20,000-word dissertation based on independent research.
Our focus includes:
- conservation theory and history
- urban conservation
- conservation technology
- the challenges of bridging the gulf between heritage and new architecture
Architectural History, Theory and Criticism
We have particular strength in:
- the history of architecture in Britain and the British colonial world (18th and 19th centuries)
- Germany, Central Europe and Russia
- modernism in Europe, North America and Africa
- Renaissance Italy
- the history of landscape
- the history of technology
- the international history of mass housing and urban development
- the theory and philosophy of architecture
- the philosophy of place
- critical inquiry and methodology
Design-led Research and Studio Practice
We focus on:
- research in and through design, as informed by contemporary architectural and cultural theory
- studio pedagogy
- research-led teaching
- methodologies of urban research and fieldwork
Digital Media and Design
We have expertise in:
- the spatial, social and philosophical implications of media
- the relationship between computers and design practice
- cognitive models of human-computer interaction
- 3D modelling
- mobile computing
- the sonic environment
Technology, Environment and Sustainability
We offer expertise in:
- lightweight steel structures
- the building envelope
- concrete construction
- design and manufacturing
- sustainable design in both qualitative and quantitative senses, looking at environmental response, design theory, rural planning and user-centred solutions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The MSc by Research programme is for students with a good general knowledge of the subject area, who wish to focus their interests and deepen their knowledge of a specific topic.
The programme consists of:
- a compulsory research methods course
- the choice of one option course subject
- a 20,000-word dissertation based on independent research
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design View 241 other Masters in Architecture in United Kingdom
- Normally a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant subject. We will also take any professional experience into account.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU: £4,600
- International: £12,000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.