Course work and experiences in the program provide students who have a deep knowledge of their respective disciplines, but no background in professional education, with the pedagogical knowledge and skills to become highly qualified educators in their fields.
Upon completion of the Middle Grades Education for Initial Certification program at Western Kentucky University, graduates will be professional educators who possess the dispositions and skills to apply state-of-the-art, evidence-based, best teaching practices to increase student achievement.
There are three concentrations in this program:
- Alternate Route to Certification Concentration for English/Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics, and Science (EARC)
- Standard Concentration for English/Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics, and Science (ESTN)
- Residency Concentration for Science and Mathematics (ERSM) (e.g. GSKyTeach)
Note that Concentrations 1 and 2 appear identical; however, the differences between these concentrations are characterized by students with and without a temporary provisional teaching certificate and those who must meet the equivalent of the state required student teaching requirements along with the specific content area in which students are seeking certification.
Students in all three concentrations are expected to become competent in theory, research, and application of best teaching practices in their respective fields and to exhibit appropriate teacher disposition behaviors as indicated by the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Disposition Rating Form. All professional education courses in the program require satisfactory completion of critical performance indicators (CPIs); these must be submitted as directed before the final course grade is recorded. Each course’s CPIs become a part of the student’s portfolio that is reviewed periodically throughout the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Internship for the MAT
- Planning for Instruction
- Advanced Educational Psychology
- Methods of Teaching Literacy to Adolescents
- Foundations of Differentiated Instruction
- Educational Assessment for P-12 Learners
- Principles of Action Research for Teacher Leaders
- Research Methods
- Survey of Educational Technology Practices
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3585 other Masters in Education in United States
- A baccalaureate degree with a major in physics, chemistry, or mathematics with a 2.5 GPA in the major area of concentration.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75.
- Satisfaction of state minimum requirements for GRE or PPST qualifying scores for admission to the professional education unit.
- A successful criminal background check.
- A passing score on the PRAXIS II test in the major area. (This score must be submitted within the first semester of enrollment in the teacher residency program.)
- Documentation to demonstrate that applicant meets all expectations for employment with the partnership school districts.
International953 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 953 USD per credit during 12 months.
National917 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 917 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State607 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 607 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.