The Advanced Certification for Teacher Leaders concentration of the MAE in Gifted Education and Talent Development is designed to develop advanced certification for teachers who can positively impact student learning in their classrooms and schools with all children and young people, including those who are gifted and talented. Courses and experiences include professional learning communities in which students interact with other graduate students from various content areas and grade levels to discuss and work on real-world challenges and promising practices they encounter in schools. Candidates who complete the MAE will be eligible for a recommendation for Rank II and both the Gifted and Talented Education (KE37) and Teacher Leader (KTLE) endorsements. Individuals holding a Rank II will be eligible for a Rank I with both the Gifted and Talented Education (KE37) and Teacher Leader (KTLE) endorsements.
Educators pursuing the advanced certification for teacher leader concentration may be completing the graduate program to continue in a teaching position or to become a curriculum coordinator. Counselors, principals, librarians, and other specialized teachers will enhance their knowledge and skills in a concentration that leads to Rank II or a Rank I if candidates already hold a Rank II certification and the gifted education endorsement.
The MAE in Gifted Education and Talent Development with the Advanced Research Focus concentration may be used to achieve Rank I. An additional three-hour practicum and a passing score on Praxis II in Gifted Education are required for those seeking the endorsement in gifted education.
The Advanced Research focus will prepare students for a variety of careers in higher education, government, policy work, or other organizations and could lead to a Rank I or specialist degree. The research concentration is planned for those pursuing different pathways:
- educators pursuing a rank change
- educators pursuing a rank change and the endorsement in gifted education (additional three-hour practicum and passing score on the Praxis II in gifted education required)
- individuals who are pursuing an advanced degree in gifted education - not certified personnel and that would include, but not be limited to, international students, psychologists, and those planning to earn a Ph.D. or Ed.D.
The MAE in Gifted Education and Talent Development is offered primarily online. Exceptions include the practicum and requests for face-to-face instruction for cohort groups.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) prepares students of all backgrounds to be productive, engaged, and socially responsible citizen-leaders of a global society. The University provides research, service and lifelong learning opportunities for its students, faculty, and other constituents. WKU enriches the quality of life for those within its reach.
- Foundations of Teacher Leadership
- Classroom Instruction Strategies
- School and Classroom Assessment
- Action Research Design for Teacher Leaders
- Action Research Capstone for Teacher Leaders
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 4050 other Masters in Education in United States
- Submit application to the Graduate School and meet all Graduate School requirements
- Have earned a Master's degree from an accredited institution if pursuing a Rank I with this degree concentration
- Have a 3.0 on all graduate coursework
- Submit copies of all transcripts
International28590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 953 USD per credit during 12 months.
National27510 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 917 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State18210 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 607 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.