The PGCE Secondary (Business Studies) course at Bishop Grosseteste University is for people wishing to train as secondary teachers of Business Studies & Economics, 14-19. You may be a new graduate, or you may be looking for a career change after a previous career in the business world; we hope that the course will appeal to a wide range of prospective trainees.
The aim of the course is to encourage you to become a reflective practitioner – a teacher who thinks about their experiences and learns from them in order to improve their practice. Trainees following this course are encouraged to explore a wide range of creative approaches to planning, teaching and evaluating lessons.
The course is built upon principles of inclusion and diversity in teaching and learning for all pupils, whatever their potential and achievements. Throughout the course, trainees study different methods of assessment and how they support classroom learning and teaching.
Careers & Further Study
The teaching profession has a well-structured career pathway which moves progressively from initial teacher training through to newly qualified (NQT) status to qualified teacher. Many continue to work in our partner schools, becoming mentors to our trainee teachers, pursing further study to full Masters and Doctoral level at BGU and taking on leadership roles including Headships.
How you're taught:
- This is a very practical course where you’ll spend at least two-thirds of your time in schools, mostly working with teachers and pupils, and around one third spent on your own study with training sessions in the university or locally to your school.
- You will consider the broader aspects of teaching, contexts for learning, the latest government initiatives and contemporary issues in teaching, learning and assessment. You will also work alongside trainee teachers of other subjects to consider cross-curricular aspects of education.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation International Business Teaching View 436 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- GCSEs at grade 4 (previously C) or above (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics.
- A relevant honours degree at a 2:2 classification or above. (Where the degree result is to be awarded in the year of application, we will require a predicted degree classification as part of an academic reference provided on the application)
- Declaration of Health
- DBS (formerly the CRB) Enhanced Disclosure
Experience in a relevant setting is useful as it will help you to make sure that you are aware of the role of a teacher in the twenty-first century. The course is intensive and demanding and you need to be aware of what a career in the teaching profession entails.
We encourage you to gain some experience in schools as this is a good starting point for you to gain an interview for the Secondary PGCE.
International14280 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14280 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lincoln
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.