The PGCE Secondary (Religious Education) programme at Bishop Grosseteste University will equip you to become an outstanding secondary school teacher. You will be encouraged to engage creatively and critically with a wide range of religions, philosophies, and current social and ethical issues, developing your own subject knowledge and considering ways of exploring these issues with young people.
The BGU ITE partnership is a close working relationship between schools, colleges, and the University. Your school based RE mentor will provide ongoing developmental feedback, and help you to practically apply your thinking and learning about religious education pedagogy.
In addition to university based sessions you will participate in field visits and school based experiences as well as developing your own subject knowledge and learning the craft of the classroom. You will also be encouraged to explore your own personal life stance and how this impinges on classroom practice.
Careers & Further Study
The teaching profession has a well-structured career pathway which moves progressively from initial teacher training through to newly qualified (NQT) status to qualified teacher. Many continue to work in our partner schools, becoming mentors to our trainee teachers, pursing further study to full Masters and Doctoral level at BGU and taking on leadership roles including Headships.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This is a very practical course where you’ll spend at least two-thirds of your time in schools, mostly working with teachers and pupils, and around one third spent on your own study with training sessions in the university or locally to your school.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Religious Studies & Theology Teaching View 854 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- GCSEs at grade 4 (previously C) or above (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics at the time of application.
- A relevant honours degree at a 2:2 classification or above; please see below for the degree subject requirements for individual specialisms. (Where the degree result is to be awarded in the year of application, we will require a predicted degree classification as part of an academic reference provided on the application)
- Experience – please see below information below
- Declaration of Health
- DBS (formerly the CRB) Enhanced Disclosure
International12850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12850 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.