During your Master of Philosophy programme offered at the University of Sunderland, we will train you in rigorous research methodologies that are transferable to many different careers. The Postgraduate Research Development programme allows you to learn alongside other candidates, building up a network of potential collaborators in research projects.
There is no doubt that research degrees require persistence and dedication. At the same time, they are excellent opportunities to develop your critical skills and high-level thinking. Most important of all, they allow you to focus on what you find interesting and to follow your personal research interests.
- Compared to a PhD, an MPhil requires fewer years of study – as few as two years compared to at least three years for a PhD
- You can often convert your MPhil programme into a PhD and continue your research
- You have an option to study this programme at our Sunderland campus or via distance learning
More informationVisit official programme website
Research proposalYou will be asked to write a 2-3 page research proposal that specifies the:
- Aims of your research
- Rationale for the research question(s)
- Proposed methodology and techniques for analysis
- Provisional time plan for the research
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply at least 6 months in advance .
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 186 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
- The normal entry requirement for a research degree is a UK honours degree (first or upper second class) or a UK Masters degree or a qualification which is regarded as equivalent.
- We will consider candidates with other qualifications, looking at evidence of academic ability such as published work.
International12630 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12630 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4464 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4464 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
- On-campus part-time: £2,681 per year
- Distance learning £2,681 per year
- Distance learning: £7,918 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.