The Stirling Centre for International Publishing and Communication at the University of Stirling is a world-leading centre for postgraduate publishing studies, offering expertise in contemporary and historical publishing in the UK and beyond.
The MRes Publishing Studies is a research preparation Master’s course that offers students the opportunity for tailor-made Master’s study in the field of publishing studies. It also offers the opportunity to prepare for a PhD through concentrated research with a specialism in publishing.
The course also offers maximum flexibility so that you can tailor the course to fit your research interests and professional practice. Graduates from the MRes course often go on to further study, such as a pursuing a PhD through concentrated research with a specialism in publishing. That being said, the course also allows you to examine in-depth issues affecting your current practice.
This research-focused Masters course can be used to advance existing publishing careers, or for students to pursue further study at PhD-level. We have over 40 years’ worth of graduates now working in the publishing and related industries across the world. Entry level jobs our students have gone into in recent years include:
- Publicity Assistant, Canongate
- Publicity Assistant, Faber & Faber
- Marketing Assistant, Taylor & Francis
- Events & Marketing Assistant, The Bookseller
- Sales & Marketing Assistant, McGraw Hill
- Production Assistant, Oxford University Press
- Editorial Assistant, Oxford University Press
- Production Editor, Cicerone Press
- Publishing Assistant, Cengage Learning
- Web editor, Digital Publishing Department, China Social Sciences Press
- Foreign Rights Specialist, Suncolor Publishing Group
- Web Editor, BooksfromScotland.com
Some of our alumni who have worked in the publishing industry have gone onto the following job roles:
- Group Sales Director and President (Asia Region), Taylor & Francis
- Chief Executive, Publishing Scotland
- Managing Editor, Little Island Books
- Higher Education Texts and eBook Sales Manager, Taylor and Francis (Asia Pacific)
- Director, World Book Day
- Production Editor, Taylor & Francis
- Founder and Publisher, Tapsalteerie and Lumphanan Press
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Publishing Dynamics
- Content Management: Manuscript to Market
- Publishing Project
- Publishing, Literature and Society
- Digital Publishing: Theory and Practice
- Skills for Publishing Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
International applicants requiring a student visa are advised to apply at least eight weeks in advance of the start date.
DisciplinesLiterature Journalism Media Studies & Mass Media View 359 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Stirling and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A minimum of a second class honours degree (2.1 preferred) or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply.
- You must submit a research proposal of 2,000 words along with your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17275 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17275 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National8200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8200 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Stirling
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.