What's covered in the course?
As a student on this course you will develop the core skills of a sonographer including, patient care and communication; technical skills, including scanning and use of equipment; clinical knowledge to make an accurate diagnosis and reporting skills. You will be taught by practising sonographers to further enhance your skills professionally, personally and practically.
A variety of learning and teaching methods will be used for your development into a technically competent, caring and knowledgeable sonographer. These skills will be developed in the classroom, by self-study, e-learning, on ultrasound simulators and on real patients in the clinical setting. Embedded into our teaching is to respect diversity, ensure equality and to apply a sound understanding of legal, ethical and professional issues to positively impact on care scenarios and delivery.The Medical Ultrasound - Module / MSc / PgCert / PgDip is provided by Birmingham City University.
Why Choose Us?
- The aim of the course is to provide qualified practitioners with a high level of specialist ultrasound knowledge and practical clinical experience. The course also develops your investigative and analytical skills in order to help you to become a highly competent sonographer.
- You will learn from practicing sonographers in clinical placement and our programme lecturers also work clinically, ensuring course content is current and relevant.
- Innovative methods of teaching and learning are embedded in the academic programme. These include: audio and video lectures, online learning and the use of an ultrasound simulation for learning scanning techniques and recognising pathology.
- We offer a wide range of clinical modules including, obstetric, early pregnancy, gynaecological, abdominal and vascular ultrasound. We are also able to offer a negotiated specialist module which is designed to meet the niche clinical requirements of each department/student.
- The course combines core modules and clinical modules for the Pg Cert this is Fundamentals of ultrasound which covers ultrasound physics and professional issues, the core module for the Pg Dip is Research practice and theory.
- Another important feature of the programme is the high level of support that the course team make available to you. Lectures are delivered to small groups, we have an open door policy and always answer emails and return phone calls. Expect to experience a spectrum of academic studies that you can use to support your clinical and professional development.
- If you are dyslexic, have a specific learning difference or a disability, a Disability Tutor will be available to support and help you throughout your time studying this course
- The programme is accredited by The Consortium of Accreditation for Sonographic Education ensuring highs standards teaching and learning. Re-accreditation occurs every 5 years, the programme has recently been reaccredited.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Obstetric Ultrasound Double module
- Gynaecological Ultrasound Single module
- Ultrasound in Early Pregnancy Single module
- Abdominal and General Ultrasound Double module
- Vascular Ultrasound Double module
- Negotiated Specialist Subject
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications will be considered at any time up until the course start date .
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine View 742 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- You will normally be expected to hold either a first degree lower second class (2.2) or above, or an equivalent professional qualification and have had a minimum of two years experience as a qualified practitioner.
- The majority of applicants will be radiographers, midwives, doctors and nurses. However we will consider applicants with health based or science degrees providing that they are able to obtain a clinical placement.
- You must ensure that you have a satisfactory clinical placement where you can obtain a minimum of 320 hours of supervised ‘hands on’ clinical ultrasound experience - this is equivalent to 2 days per week over a nine month period.
EU/EEA720 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 720 GBP per module and a duration of 36 months.
- per 20-credit module
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.