Ghent University is the only university in Flanders to offer a Master of Science in Engineering Physics. At the same time they have the engineering skills that make them wanted as innovators and developers in industry, research institutes, and universities. The engineering component of the master’s programme develops skills such as analysis, design and optimisation of existing and new systems, products, machines, and materials. This involves approximating physical reality by system descriptions ranging from simple rules of thumb to expert systems. The physical component follows a reductionist approach where experiment and mathematical modelling aim at understanding and reducing physics to its basics, and deriving its governing equations. Despite the more philosophical approach, a rigorous attitude remains essential and all physical theory has to withstand experimental validation.
The Master of Science in Engineering Physics trains students to tackle engineering challenges with a broad skillset in physics. The broad scope of the Master and its eight advanced elective courses assure that its alumni are ready to do innovate work in a broad range of companies and research centers in all areas where physics is required or essential.
- Plasma Physics
- Subatomic Physics
- Mathematical Techniques for Engineers
- Atomic and Molecular Physics
- Physical Chemistry
- Computational Solutions of Wave Problems
- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPhysics General Engineering & Technology View 53 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students who wish to enrol for the Master of Science in Engineering Physics can enter the programme without any prerequisites if they hold the following diploma: an academic diploma of Bachelor (or Master) of Science in Engineering (university level, minimum of three years), with the main subject in Engineering Physics or an equivalent to this.
- Admission can only be granted after an individual application procedure. The Study Programme Committee will make the final decision whether to accept the application or not. The Study Programme Committee can decide that students need to follow a preparatory course or an individual master’s programme, for instance for students who hold another diploma of Bachelor or Master.
International5744 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5744 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA962 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 962 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Gent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.