A focus on digital media practice and theory sets this course apart from traditional communication design courses, preparing you for an exciting career in a range of design roles. We’ll encourage you to explore systems for the making and communication of text and image while you redefine your own practice through various media formats of experimental publishing and interaction design.
This Communication Design MA course offered by the University of Southampton is for recent graduates or those with professional experience who wish to extend their creative skills and design knowledge into hybrid publishing, user experience design, and design research.
The core curriculum is practice based, supported by workshops, lectures and both individual and group tutorials. In our modern, well-equipped studios you’ll learn how to develop effective concepts and prototypes for current and emergent platforms, informed by graphic design and user experience design principles.
Throughout this master’s you’ll have opportunities to:
- build your own tools through creative coding and modular design experimentation
- take field trips to London and across Europe
- use excellent facilities like the Interaction and Prototyping Laboratory, 3D printing and laser cutting as well as traditional design and print equipment
- learn from academics with industry experience in graphic design, interaction design and design for experimental media
- create a portfolio of high-quality design work
Towards the end of the course you'll carry out a practice-led research project, which is an exciting opportunity for you to engage with key debates shaping the communication design field.
Throughout the course you’ll generate a portfolio of work based on your areas of interest and build on professional skills needed for employment, starting your own businesses, or carrying out further research.
Our Excel Southampton placement programme can also give you potential opportunities to collaborate on external projects and undertake work placement positions.
You can use this master’s to build or further a career in digital and media design roles including:
- digital or graphic designer
- web designer,
- user experience designer
- mobile designer
- digital product developer
- brand/content manager
- visual or digital publisher
- project manager
- interaction or front end designer
- Professional and Academic Skills (Practice)
- Design and New Media
- Sustainability in Business and Design
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Digital Cultures
- Experimental Publishing
- Exploring the Visual Language of Display
- Global Marketing
- Visual Culture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Entrepreneurship Digital Communication View 199 other Masters in Digital Communication in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a minimum of a 2:2 degree in a design, communication, or media subject. Or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the university.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.